Coming into college you will not know everybody and it may be a little difficult to make friends. Here are some quick tips on ways to make friends and get involved with your college mates:
1) As a freshman, you should choose to live in an on-campus housing dorm. It will be much easier for you to meet people who are your age and are enrolled in the same classes as you. With dorm style living you are surrounded by people almost all the time. You will have a roommate, hall mates, neighbors, and so many people in your building. Living in a dorm is a great way to make friends and find other freshmen who share common interests with you. These friends will last a life time.
2) Get involved in clubs, organizations, Greek life, or sports teams. When you join a club you are able to meet a lot of different people with the same interest. It is not hard making friends in college but at times it may be a little intimidating without the right situation. Check out UNCW's Greek Life page for more information on how to get started.
3) Create a Facebook profile with your likes and dislikes so that others in your college or dorm can better put a name with a face. Also, some dorms and classes create groups on Facebook so joining these groups quickly connects you with those you may live with or share class with. This is a great way to make new friends.
4) Play in the intramural league to meet new people who share interests in the same sport as you. These friendly competitions continue throughout the school year and are great interaction between peers that doesn't have to involve the pressures of school work. This is a great way to reduce stress and have fun! Look at UNCW's Intramural Page for information on how to get started.
5) Making friends has a domino effect. Once you meet one person whether in your dorm or in your classes, you will be introduced to their friends. So while trying to make 10 new friends at the beginning of a college career may seem daunting, it can be done in no time when meeting the right people. You will not regret getting yourself out there!
6)Another Great way to make friends on campus is to invite someone you always sit beside in class or see at the library to lunch! You can take this new friend to Dubs, Wag, or where ever you want. The environment is new friend welcome and is very easy to talk laugh and bond over delicious food! This is an especially good method for people who dont live on campus, but still want to make friends with people who do!